Alisha Buckman, Intellectual Property Attorney
I've spent my personal and professional life involved in the creative arts, as both a musician and a lawyer. That's why I deeply understand the need to protect my clients' original literary works, films, music, artwork, and performances. I believe that intellectual property law is where creativity meets protection.
Today artists have more ways to reach their audiences than ever before. There are also more pitfalls for a creative entrepreneur to navigate. As an intellectual property lawyer I help artists maintain control of their art in the following ways:
- Register your work with the United States Copyright and Trademark office.
- Negotiate artist contracts.
- Advise clients on their performance and management deals.
- Litigate fair use violations, including piracy and theft.
- Enforce copyright violations.
- Manage your digital rights.
- Draft agreements for performers that clearly establish their rights.
- Negotiate music publication and distribution agreements.
- Manage new media agreements, including digital downloads and other online protections.
Your art is my business, and it's my job to help you protect what you've created.
On a personal level, you could say that music inspired my legal career and also saved my life. When I was a child, I had leukemia and spent over a year in the hospital. Music therapy sessions are what gave me strength and brought me joy. It led me to study classical guitar as an undergraduate college student and also inspired me to become an Intellectual Property Attorney for artists.
Education and Legal Membership
- Florida State University, 2007, B.A. in Creative Writing, graduated Magna Cum Laude
- Golden Gate University School of Law, 2010, JD, Deans List 2010
- California Bar Association, member
- American Bar Association, member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association, member
- Specialization Certificate in Intellectual Property from Golden Gate University School of Law
- The Masud Mehran Endowed Fellowship
- Intellectual Property Law
- Entertainment Law
- Copyright Law
- Trademark Law
- Creative Business Management
- Nonprofit Law
To learn more about our personal injury legal team go to our Attorney Profiles section. Alisha Buckman practices Intelletual Property Law "of counsel" at Buckman and Buckman, P.A. Click HERE to email Alisha Buckman with your questions about Intellectual Property Law.